- System Architecture, Service Scaling, Test Driven Design, Real-time & Distributed Computation, and eCommerce.
- Significant experience with Building, Deploying, Scaling, and the Operational Management issues of large distributed services.
- Experience with all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and as a Technical Leader.
Programming Languages and Technologies
- Mobile App development (3+ years): Native and Phonegap / HTML5
- Ruby on Rails development (5+ years): large scale eCommerce, and Facebook applications
- Java development (10+ years): N-Tier Systems, Multi-Threaded applications, J2EE, Spring
- Amazon Web Services (5+ years): EC2, S3
- Additional Proficient Languages: Python, C/C++, PHP
- SCM: Mercurial, Git, Subversion, Perforce
- Databases: MySQL, MongoDB, PostreSQL
- PCI Compliance / OWASP, System Security
- Web Servers: Apache, Nginx, SSL / TLS
- Linux (since 1994), most modern flavors of Unix
Stealth Mode Startup CompanyMay, 2016 - Present
V.P. of Engineering
We are building an amazing product that sits at the center of one of the hottest movements in tech. We have top tier VC funding. We have customers. We have revenue. And we are growing…nicely. We are veterans of Google, Amazon, Code.org and multiple startups with successful exits..
Qumulo December, 2012 - April 2016
Member of Technical Staff
Developing the next generation of enterprise storage solutions.
Full stack development:
- - Distributed filesystem coding in C
- - Interactive analytics experiences. based on React and D3.js
Designed and developed the initial Qumulo Care / Mission Qontrol monitoring service.
- - AWS hosted service for high availability and scaling.
- - Based on Node.js + React + MongoDB.
Buzzwords: distributed transactional filesystem, quorum / paxos, NFS, SMB, AD / LDAP, Erasure coding (EC), REST API.
Nuance Communications July, 2011 - November, 2012
Principal Software Engineer
Nuance Mobile Care:
Native iOS, Android, and PhoneGap Customer Care Applications for major telcos
NINA speech control for banking and telco mobile apps
Consultant July, 2009 - July, 2011
Architect / Software Engineer / Systems EngineerFounded online music distribution system ( DIYstro.com )
Developed Amazon EC2 cloud computing automation tools for UW Astro Physics Group
Developed Passport Unlimited iPhone and Android Applications
Extensive custom software for Drupal CMS
Jambool, Inc July, 2008 - July, 2009
Senior Software and Systems Engineer / Architect
Development of payment and virtual currency APIs in the social gaming space
Jambool was aquired by Google in August, 2010
Consultant April, 2008 - June, 2008
Architect / Software Engineer / Systems Engineer
Worked with local startups to scale application prototypes in pursuit of venture capital financing
Qpass | Amdocs September, 2005 - April, 2008
Designed and implemented enterprise deployment management and automation systems. Customers included: AT&T, Nextel/Sprint, Starz, Alltel, Dobson, Triton, MetroPCS
Consultant September, 2003 - September, 2005
Software and Systems Consultant / Engineer
Developed and Extended a Content Management System for FultonIT that is used to power several commercial and non-profit websites. Technical Due Diligence reporting for Swiftsure Capital LLC. Further Qpass subcontracting (see below.)
Qpass, Senior Software Engineer September, 2002 - September, 2003
Systems and Deployment Software Engineer
Developed, Maintained various service subsystems (J2EE: Entity & Stateless Session Beans). Designed, Developed, Maintained automated build, package, and deployment system for Qpass Prosperity Series software.
Work included: Apache httpd 2.0.50, Tomcat 4.1.27, Weblogic Server ( 6.1 -> 8.0), including production clusters, JCE with Sun and BouncyCastle providers, Cybersource payment processing software, Out-bound HTTPS client work ( JSSE ), SSL with Client certificates, JAAS, Struts UI support, Taxware Services, Extensive Ant build, package, deploy experience, Maven 1.x experience
Production scaling, trouble shooting, and security work for hosted services for wireless telco and Wi-Fi hot-spot vendors including: ATT Wireless, Cingular, Nextel, Starz, Altell, Dobso
Amazon.com, Senior Software Engineer May, 1998 - May, 2001
Systems and Deployment Software Engineer
Java Services Platform : (5/1998 - 12/1998) Co-Architected and Implemented amazon.com's first Java Services Platform. Designed, Developed, Deployed Removals Service as functional demonstration of platform and services issues. The Java based 3 tier service provided distribution center operations specialist with a GUI front end to asses, execute, and track distributor returns of non-optimal inventory assets. Estimated ROI on first 2 year's deployment > $10 million.
VendorMaster Service: (1/1999 - 6/2000)
Co-Designed, Developed, Deployed Java based 3 tier service to
provide enterprise access to all Vendor related information.
- Worked with users to gather use cases.
- Worked with enterprise data modelers to create a scalable Entity Relations Diagram (ERD), consisting of over 70 tables.
- Co-designed and implemented Object-Relation mapping / code generation tools.
- Design flexible, stable, deployment mechanism and process to facilitate production, beta, QA, and development users.
- Implemented flexible Unit Testing Framework (JUnit) for system. - Designed and Implemented flexible security and preferences system for service. - Evolved platform into a high availability 24/7/365 Enterprise Service.
- Estimated ROI on first 2 year's deployment > $25 million.
Supply Chain Ordering Systems: (6/2000 - 5/2001)
- Improved the core Ordering Systems that support product replenishment, consignment purchases and out-of-print items; these systems include a mix of shell, Perl, C and Java that access Oracle databases.
- Analyzed, Designed, and Managed the Porting of back-end Supply Chain Ordering Systems from OSF1 to Linux. This included porting, testing and deploying several hundred applications in C, Perl, Java, shell scripts, and configuration scripts. The key goals of risk mitigation and seamless transition where met successfully.
- Analyzed, Designed, and Implemented all changes required for the back-end Supply Chain system for the launch of amazon.jp
- Interviewed and Mentored new hires and interns and led medium-scale projects within the group.
- Constantly worked with business users to gather requirements and define scopes of projects.
- Supported production system including "on-call" (24/7) pager duties.